Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi out deer hound has sores/ burn marks on both his front legs.

Hi out deer hound has sores/ burn marks on both his front legs. We our away on North Uist and we just wondering if there's a at home treatment we can use for him. We have no idea how he got them.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are the sores deep or superficial?

Are they weeping clear discharge or pus?

Any swelling around the wounds?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there is no swelling, the puss has gone as we cleaned it but they are quite deep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Rebecca,

Now we can often see sores or wounds develop on dogs legs if they have potentially been running though brambles, high grass, or in the woods. Burns are less likely since they tend to only cause superficial damage (often with swelling) and you would likely have been aware if he had been in close contact with a intense heat source (ie fire).

In this situation, we need to tread with care if these wounds are deep and already infected. This is because when we have deep infected wounds, oral/systemic antbiotics are often indicated and depending on the wound surgically closure may also be necessary. And because this is deep and already discharging pus, I would note that it is worth ringing the local vet (You can find their contact details on the RCVS Register (HERE)). While the islands don't often have a vet on each island, there is usually a vet or two that do make the rounds and care for the animals on the islands. So, you may find that the local one is in reach or can potentially post you treatment to start with Hamish.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** care, we'd want to be more aggressive with your treatment. Salt water is a good start but if this is discharge pus, then we'd want to consider flushing the wounds with diluted chlorohexidine or iodine (both should be diluted to a weak tea like color). Both should be available OTC at the chemist. This should be done a 2-3 times a day, and any discharges should continued to be washed away. If your lad is amenable, you can also use a syringe (wo/ a needle) to flush the inside the wounds to remove bacteria from its depths.

From there, after you have thoroughly cleaned and gently dried the area, you can use with an OTC antibiotic (ie Neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment, etc) or antiseptic cream (ie Salvon). In regards ***** ***** latter, avoid any product that contains phenols (ie Germoline or Detol should be avoided) or topical numbing agents. Whichever you use, do make sure Hamish cannot lick this off or lick the wound. Ideally we'd want to place a buster collar but if you cannot access even a pet store, then you may need to cover the wounds with a breathable (ie tshirt material, sock, etc) cover to allow it to dry out but protect it from him. This is quite important since removal of topical antiseptics won't help the wound nor will his getting mouth bacteria into it.

Overall, this is a situation you need to address with care. If these wounds are deep and discharging pus, then they are infected and antibiotics would be the best option here. But if the local vet isn't due to visit this island and cannot be reached or dispense treatment for you; then we'd need to take the above steps to see if we can settle this topically for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.