Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

tara is a large American bulldog crossed with a rodesian ridgeback.

Customer Question

tara is a large American bulldog crossed with a rodesian ridgeback. she as just finished her periods aweek ago . she as developed what looks at her back passage also she is very listless sleeping a lot not much energy and will not eat .
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here. Can you describe for me what's wrong with her back end?
JACUSTOMER-07oriouo- :

right at her passageway there are a number of sores growing heads . one as bust.

Vet : OK. Do you mean her vulva or anus?
JACUSTOMER-07oriouo- :

vulva

Vet : How old is Tara, and is there any chance she could have been mated?
JACUSTOMER-07oriouo- :

three yrs not been mated.

Vet : Is she drinking water, and if so, is she drinking more than normal?
JACUSTOMER-07oriouo- :

not drinking much.

Vet : Is she regularly in contact with other entire bitches, or puppies, such as in your house or your friends/neighbours?
JACUSTOMER-07oriouo- :

afriends house who have a bitch.not very often.

Vet : Ok, thanks for answering the questions. There are two main possibilities here: vaginitis or Canine Herpes Virus infection. She is listless and unwilling to eat, I suspect, because she has a temperature. The safest thing to do would be to take her to the vet tomorrow for an assessment, and they may decide to prescribe antibiotics and something to take her temperature down and make her feel better. Vaginitis is a bacterial infection of the vagina and is more common in younger bitches, often results in a discharge and does not usually cause a fever. Canine herpes virus can certainly cause the symptoms you describe - in this case, you should keep her away from other dogs if you can for two-three weeks after the sores subside, as the virus can affect puppies in the womb. In the meantime, try to encourage her to drink and give her 1/2 paracetamol every 8 hours for her temperature.
Vet : That is, 1/2 a 500mg paracetamol every 8 hours, i.e. 250mg.
JACUSTOMER-07oriouo- :

thank you.

Vet : Do you have any further questions?
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kind rating. I hope all goes well for you and Tara.
Vet Andrew