Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi My cat seems poorly. She is very holly is reluctant to

My cat seems poorly. She is very holly is reluctant to sit down or lay down And has been in her litter tray about three times in the past hour. But not really done anything.
She hasn't eaten the food I've given her. But that's not unusual. She is a grazer.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Typically the cause of sudden decrease in using a litter box is a urinary tract infection. Cats who have been using a box properly that now urinates improperly (sudden trips to the box) often has discomfort in their bladder. The sudden stinging sensation that comes along with bladder infection or disease causes a sudden need to urinate right away and will cause her to be uncomfortable both in the litter box and out of the litter box (unable to find a comfortable position) A quick urine test by the vet can determine if it's sterile inflammation, an infection or urinary crystals causing the problem and then prescribe the proper treatment. Once the discomfort goes away 95% of affected cats start using the litter box normally right away. As long as she does not start vomiting and become really lethargic and unresponsive then this is not usually an emergency but she'll need help in the morning.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan