Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My golden retriever spayed is not herself. Today she

My golden retriever spayed bitch is not herself. Today she had three wet accidents inside, two with blood in urine and one normal. She becomes mortified if she goes to the toilet inside and she just didn't seem to care. She's not wanting to play ball (her favourite game in the world) and has to be heavily persuaded to move. She's also cold to touch so I've put her hoodie on to give her a helping hand with retaining heat. Her urine has returned back to a normal colour and she ate her bedtime biscuits fine but she's still displaying all the other behaviour I have described. Can I wait until the vets open tomorrow or do I need to take her down to an emergency vets?
Thanks in advance
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Mali's urine accidents in the house, two of which showed frank blood, and lethargy.
There are many reasons to have blood in the urine or bleeding from vulva.
We often think of an infection but also crystals or stones in the urinary tract, masses in the vagina, or in the urinary or reproductive tract or clotting disorders are possible causes. Because she is a spayed female a reproductive tract infection isn't possible.
Are her gums and tongue white, pale pink or bubble gum pink? If they are nice and pink then she likely hasn't lost enough blood to make her anemic and that is a good sign and would make her condition less likely to be an emergency.
Is she bleeding only when she passes urine or does the bleeding ever seem independent of passing urine?
If the bleeding is only when she passes urine then concerns would be a genitourinary tract infection, crystals or stones in her urinary tract, a clotting abnormality or a mass in her urinary tract.
If the bleeding is ever independent of her passing urine the concerns would be trauma to her reproductive , a mass in her lower reproductive tract, or a clotting abnormality.
She does need to see her veterinarian.
If her color is nice and pink, she is eating and drinking normally and isn't running a high fever (greater than 103.5F rectally) or a subnormal temperature (less than 99F) then she can probably wait until tomorrow to see her veterinarian. If she is straining but unable to pass urine, is vomiting, runs a fever (more than 103.5 F rectally), or has a subnormal temperature, has a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure, or her gums become very pale it is time for emergency veterinary care.
If she were my patient I'd start with a urinalysis with culture and radiographs of her abdomen to look at her kidneys and bladder for signs of stones and their size and shape. We may need an abdominal ultrasound to identify some urinary calculi and masses in her bladder or reproductive tract. If she had pale gums signifying significant blood loss then I would want to check her clotting function too.
If money was very tight and there were signs of infection on the urinalysis then an antibiotic prescription for 10 to 14 days would be reasonable to start.
If I saw lots of crystals or abnormal looking cells on the urinalysis I'd warn the owner that things may be more serious.
And I'd recommend a recheck of her urine at the end of the antibiotic therapy. If there was still blood then radiographs or an ultrasound of her bladder/kidneys is needed.
If this is a reproductive tract infection I highly recommend that she be spayed.
With her symptoms of bleeding at the end of urination I would be most suspicious of bladder calculi. But as I listed above there are several other possibilities.
All you can do for her at home is encourage fluid intake to flush out her urinary tract. Add water or low salt beef or chicken broth to her food or feed her canned food to encourage eating and increase her fluid intake.
Give her ice cubes. Offer her fresh water frequently.
And make sure she gets out frequently to urinate.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.