Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi.I think my bird has dislocated its wing,can i fix it my

Customer Question

Hi.I think my bird has dislocated its wing,can i fix it myself,?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You may be correct but I also have to consider a fracture. To answer you directly, yes, you can immobilize the wing but that should only be done until Little Un can be brought to an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) to be properly diagnosed and treated. You'll need help restraining her and a few supplies. Here's a good site and video explaining the process to you: http://www.lafebervet.com/emergency-medicine/birds/how-to-guide-wing-wrap-placement-in-birds/

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you i have an appointment today to take him to a vet as i dont want to attempt to do it myself and do more injury to him.Thank you Ashleigh

Sounds good, Ashleigh.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.