Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience in small animal medicine/surgery
33084435

My cat has ingested chives and promptly threw up. Should I

My cat has ingested chives and promptly threw up. Should I call emergency vet? How much needs to be consumed to cause further problems than the throwing up? Tjanks
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Bruce and I would like to help you with your kitty.
Do you know about how much she ate?
Did you see the chives in the vomit?
Chives are toxic for cats, and can cause problems with the GI tract (vomiting, diarrhea) and can also cause problems with the blood (destruction of the red blood cells).
However, if she vomited the chives up immediately, then the risk is less since she didn't have time to absorb any of the toxin.
The safest thing to do would be to take her to the vet for immediate treatment. They can give her something to help vomit up the remainder of what may be in her stomach, and then give her something to reduce absorption of anything else still in there.
It doesn't take very much of the chives to cause a problem, so I would encourage you to take this route for absolute safety.
I hope this helps and that she is doing better very soon. If you would like to continue this chat, please reply to this post, and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** up immediately and only ingested about a tablespoon if was scrunched up in a ball. So an emergency vet is required? Or an early Monday appointment?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
How is she acting right now? How long ago did she eat the chives?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She are 30 mins ago. Since throwing up she has been twice to eat dry food and in between snacking has been chasing the kitten around the house so completely normal behaviour
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Sarah,
You are probably ok to monitor for now. If she starts to act ill, or seems weak or lethargic, then I would take her to the vet immediately.
If she lets you look at her gums, and they are pink, then that is a good sign. If the gums start to look white or very pale, then she needs to be seen right away.
It sounds like she cleared it out of her system sufficiently, so she probably is ok. However, I would still always want to err on the side of safety and suggest getting her checked out.