Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hi, my cat of 9 started meowing really loudly and in a unhappy

Customer Question

hi, my cat of 9 started meowing really loudly and in a unhappy tone, and then all of sudden lay down on the floor and wouldn't move, his breathing became slow and wasn't responding. this happened for around 1 min and then started to respond again, still he laid down for quite a while. he is now active again and has eaten food and seems normal again, I'm worried as this has happened twice now and really upset about this as I've never seen it before, do you know what it could be? thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Vocalizing as you've reported concomitant with syncopy ("fainting") in our cats is highly suggestive of cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heart rate) seen most often secondary to cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease). Sox's symptoms are danger signs and so having his heart auscultated (listened to) at your earliest convenience would be prudent. Because Sox's vet may not hear anything unusual - arrhythmia need not be persistent in our cats and dogs - a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram) and EKG may be recommended.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.