Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My nans neighbours garden is a right state and as a result

Customer Question

My nans neighbours garden is a right state and as a result there are rats which are now entering and tunneling ing in my nans garden. We only realised on monday. My nans dog has been obsessivly trying to get under the rabit hutch which is where we now now the rats have been getting. The dog has had several episodes of being sick and having loose poo's. And were wondering if this could be related to the rats?
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here.
Vet : How long has the vomiting and diarrhoea been going on?
Vet : Is Izzy up to date with her vaccinations?
JACUSTOMER-m1e6znvu- :

yea she has upto date with vacs worming and flea. she has had a few bouts of being unwell in the past month and has been to the vet. they did some bloods which have come back normal. we are just now curious if it could be something to do with the rats making her ill

Vet : The main diseases to worry about when dogs meet rats are:
Vet : 1. Leptospirosis
Vet : 2. Rat bite fever (rare)
Vet : 3. Salmonella.
Vet : If up to date with vaccs, Izzy should be protected against Lepto. The second disease is extremely rare, and the third usually causes an extremely serious illness, with bloody diarrhoea, vomiting and a fever. With the symptoms you describe, it seems unlikely that any of the three diseases are at work here, but the important thing is that they are all serious and all are potentially transmissible to humans. Did you mention the rats to your vet? If not, I would at least phone the vet you saw and explain the situation, especially if Izzy has contact with children. The vet may decide a course of antibiotics may be indicated if Izzy's symptoms don't abate. In the meantime, take all hygienic precautions when handling or petting her, and consider moving the rabbit hutch and getting your local council's pest control officer in to deal with the rats.
Vet : Please let me know if you have further questions, otherwise, I wish you and Izzy all the best.