Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

whilst walking my dog tonight he ran after a fox pulling

Customer Question

Hello whilst walking my dog tonight he ran after a fox pulling off his lead and ran onto the train track ... he yelped a long yelp before jumping back onto the platform where he lay but did not seem to have irregular breathing. he then seemed fine we have walked home. I have checked his paws and can see no burns and have listened to his heart which seems normal.
He is not behaving any differently and seems to be breathing fine his gums are a good pink colour but i am worried about him.
He is an italian mastiff and weighs 78kg very lean and healthy he is 4.
What should i look for in the next hr or so.
thank you
Lisa
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Lisa and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Barasi's situation...this must have been frightening for you, Lisa!

You are doing all the right things so far. The most important thing in Barasi's situation is the threat of internal injuries which would show as very pale to white gums. If this should show, then take him to your vet right away. Watch for any swelling any where on his body and if you see this, apply cold compresses to reduce swelling. If he shows any sign of limping which could come from bruising, you can give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce inflammation and discomfort.

From your description, Lisa, it appears that Barasi has done well after this trauma but watching for any signs within the next few hours is important.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Lisa, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am sure Barasi will do well with you caring for him.

Have a wonderful day!!