Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my daughters rabbit seems to have developed a skin condition

Customer Question

Hi my daughters rabbit seems to have developed a skin condition on his back it's dry flaky now his fur is coming out
Pat Ohear
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Pat, you appear to be describing an infestation with Cheyletiella parasitovorax, the rabbit fur mite. This nonburrowing mite lives on the keratin layer of the epidermis and is often called "walking dandruff" because it resembles a large, white, mobile dandruff flake. Although Cheyletiella can cause subclinical disease, more often it causes a scaly, dry, sometimes pruritic (itchy) dermatitis with patchy alopecia or broken hairs over the dorsal neck, trunk, hind end, and abdomen. The diagnosis is usually made visually but confirmation takes microscopic identification of mites in skin scrapings or skin and hair debris that sticks to a flea comb. Infected rabbits are treated with ivermectin injections or with selamectin appied topically. These are prescription drugs, however. Over the counter lime sulfur dips available at a local pet store or agricultural merchant weekly for 3-6 weeks should be effective as well.

This mite is zoonotic; in other words, humans can suffer a mild pruritic dermatitis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi so is it better to take rabbit to the vet for treatment or can this be purchased over the counter . We stay in the UK so it might be different from USA
A vet can take care of this problem quicker and with less ado and so I'd prefer you went that route. If you prefer, you can purchase lime sulfur dip over the counter in the UK. Please see here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vet-Solutions-Lime-Sulfur-Dip/dp/B000MCZ7HW

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we are just going to vet thanks for help
Sounds good.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'll speak to you soon.

May I have an update on Rodney, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vet treated him at the surgery it was as you said . He seems a lot better now . We will keep a good wAtch on him . Vet would like to see him back on two weeks .thanks for your help
Obliged
Pat Ohear
That's good to hear, Pat. Thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Please disregard the info request.