Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

i have a 4yr neutered female cat who had a fight which left

i have a 4yr neutered female cat who had a fight which left scratches on her belly she has been licking it and made them into sores which have dried up but i have noticed that she now appears to have a swelling under the bottom sore i am on income support is there anything you can suggest ? it doesnt appear to be causing her pain
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she strictly indoors?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no she goes out

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Frankie, it is important to stop her from licking the area or this is going to continue to get worst. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. Keep her indoors when she has the ecollar; danerous for her to go outside with the ecollar on.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.

4- If no significant improvement in 2-3 days after doing the above I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you i will try this what about the swelling should i be worried about it?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Once she stops licking and you treat as above the swelling will begin to subside.

You're welcome.