Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

We have a cat. now aged nine years old. She is one of seven

We have a cat. now aged nine years old. She is one of seven cats and none are allowed to go out, as we are on the edge of the A69 and over the years have lost a great many cats to the road.
She has now lost a lot of weight, although still wanting to be fed and to drink at mealtimes, like the others.
We had moved to ***** ***** as Roger, just before he left the Hadrian vets, called in on a Christmas Eve to see a sick rescue horse that he was treating, without being asked, and rang us in Newcastle, where we worked, to say he thought that nothing was helping the horse and that it should be put down. He offered to do that straight away and so we gave permission, feeling that he was a top notch vet.
We had another cat who we took to Rogers new premises and were seen by Roger himself, although he was beginning to acquire good associate vets. However he told us that the cat wasn't responding to treatment and so put the cat down for us. The bill was crippling although at the time we just paid and went home, without really recognising the amount.
We currently, as I said, have the nine year old. We went to Roger's premises and answered the questions asked, the cat was taken to another room to have some bloods taken and we were told that we needed to provide some urine.
This, with six other cats, proved impossible. We tried putting her in a room by herself with a clean cat lit tray and both water and some milk and both wet and dry food and closed the door before any of the others got in. We left the cat for 24 hours, but despite everything, she didn't use the tray.
We were sent a bill of over £91 for the ten minute consultation and the blood test, which really knocked us back, because no-one had given us any idea of the cost of the two things.
We didn't get a hard copy of the blood test findings, but were told when we rang that it seemed likely the cat had diabetes. We have already had a cat with diabetes, and were given a quantity of syringes and a small bottle of insuline which we kept in the fridge, slightly separate from anything else in the fridge, and know what to expect and what to do.
I spoke with a friend who takes in cats in trouble and dedicates her time to nursing her cats back to health. She and her vets are in Newcastle, so it wouldn't be good to submit the cat to such a long drive. However, she said that it is possible to have some small stones that go in the clean cat-lit and which her cats find a lot easier to provide a specimen in, and was surprised that we hadn't been offered this or even not mentioned.
All the above detail the story of this cat. We are totally gobsmacked about the bill sent out, without any reports for the bloodwork, and have decided that we need to find a different, more specialist in small animal work veterinary organisation, whose charges are hopefully easier to bear, as we are both retired and so cannot simply provide cash for little help.
I knew I had seen your premises some while ago and so we decided to ask you what your thoughts are about getting a urine sample, here, and whether you also provide the stones that my friend mentioned.....and what your charges are, before we move to any different vets.
I would love to hear from you as soon as possibe, and before things go too far, for the cat.
Justine Oldfield-Rowell
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

After reading your post, I do think it would be wise to request a written estimate prior to any future care for your pets.

Dr. Susan :

This is perfectly reasonable. As I see it, everyone has financial boundaries, and we aren't doing anyone any good if we step outside those boundaries!

Dr. Susan :

Now, with regard to urine sample collection, we have a few options in front of us.

Dr. Susan :

My preferred sampling method is through something called cystocentesis. This uses a tiny needle to obtain the urine sample. Obviously, this would need to be done at your vet.

Dr. Susan :

If they didn't offer this, it may be something they aren't comfortable with, or perhaps they do not have ultrasound on site.

Dr. Susan :

There may also be a cost incurred with this, so you may want to avoid it for that reason also.

Dr. Susan :

In terms of home options, you can purchase a couple of different types of products to help with urine collection.

Dr. Susan :

These are litter replacements, similar to what your friend had described to you.

Dr. Susan :

One product is sand like, called Kit4Cat.

Dr. Susan :

The others are plastic beads, like Nosorb or PawCheck.

Dr. Susan :

You should be able to order these online if they aren't available locally or through your vet.

Dr. Susan :

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics