Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a 7 year old German shepherd. He is currently suffering

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old German shepherd. He is currently suffering from some sort of skin disorder. His skin is red and spotty and is losing his fur. He has been to the vets and had a biopsy which has come up with nothing unusual. He has royal canine adult German shepherd and sardines and chappie as a staple diet. Have you any ideas on how to treat him? We have been shampooing him regularly with no success. He has also had a course of antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Would you be able to post a photo ? If it won't work here, you can also upload to a site like photobucket or imgur and send me the link.

JACUSTOMER-ejegv7gd- :

Ok I shall try to get you a photo but it won't be today.

Dr. Susan :

No problem, I'll reply once I see the picture!

Customer :

Can U please send me an email address photo?

Dr. Susan :

Sure! You can send it to***@******.*** or***@******.***

Dr. Susan :

It can take a day or two before they forward it, but I'll let you know once I see it!

Customer :

Can U send me an email address photo?.

Dr. Susan : Yes, did you see my response above? Send it to***@******.***
Customer :

, have U received photos yet?

Dr. Susan :

Yes, I have received the photos now.

Dr. Susan :

Is he itchy?

Dr. Susan :

Has he had any blood testing done yet?

Dr. Susan :

The red bumps on his abdomen (that's what it seemed to show from the photo) are suggestive of a bacterial pyoderma.

Dr. Susan :

You mentioned he has already had antibiotics, could you tell me what he received? It would be helpful to know his weight, the dose (in mg) and the frequency (once or twice daily) so I can make sure the medication was appropriate.

Customer :

Alfie was prescribed cephorum 500mg x2 daily. He weighs 57kg. We have been shampooing him with malaseb. He has had no recent bloods done. He is not excessively itchy, but has the odd scratch. His appetite is good and still loves his walks and play.

Customer :

Did you receive my last message regarding his antibiotics etc.

Customer :

Have you received the info about his antibiotics etc

Customer :

, I still have no response

Dr. Susan :

I am so so sorry! I don't know where the error occurred, but I never received an email that you had posted back to me nor did your question show up on my question list.

Dr. Susan :

I have a few ideas of what we might do to treat him going forward.

Dr. Susan :

First, the dose of Cephorum (cephalexin) is too low. 57 kg dog, I would prescribe 1500mg (3 capsules) every 12 hours least 14 days.

Dr. Susan :

I would strongly recommend either restarting that antibiotic at a higher dose, or switching to another appropriate medication like amoxicillin/clavulanic acid.

Dr. Susan :

I would also like to check some blood work - his thyroid level specifically.

Dr. Susan :

Hypothyroidism (low thyroid) can absolutely cause alopecia without significant itching.

Dr. Susan :

If you are able, I would also love to see the biopsy report.