DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

I have a whippet 18 months old she got a very bad burning when

Customer Question

I have a whippet 18 months old she got a very bad burning when she was 3 months old she just into a boiling bath of water the vet saved her life she has recovered only her legs especially the back one shave no hair when she goes out in snow or very bad weather she gets very red and some cuts as her skin is so fine is there anything I can put on them to help her
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

there. Thanks question. Im sorry to hear about your dogs troubles but glad she has such a caring owner as you. Let me see if I can help

DrMelJ :

Burned skin is in fact very delicate, you are right. Protecting it is very important. There are some things you can try.

DrMelJ :

SSD cream- silver sulfadiazene creme is excellent / recovering skin. It coats well and protects it

DrMelJ :

You could also look into some dog leg wraps made from neoprene or some other support material. These might provide more protection when she is outside in the snow. Here is an example: http://www.backontrackproducts.com/Therapeutic-Dog-Hock-Wraps-p288.html

DrMelJ :

You'll have to search around to find ones that cover the right area

DrMelJ :

I hope this helps. Good luck to you. Let me know if you have further questions.