DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

I have a 13 year old male ***** *****, always has been very

I have a 13 year old male ***** *****, always has been very fit and healthy, never had any health issues, today he has been sick on and off all day and his poo had been runny. Over the last couple of hours he has started to shake (not badly) has a vacant look, does want to go out for a walk or even have his nightly treat of a dental bone. This is out of character as he always wants to be out side. He has had a good drink about 30 minutes ago and gave him freshly cook chicken this morning which he has brought up bit by bit during the afternoon....... should I just let him try and sleep ?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.

DrMelJ :

Im sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well.

DrMelJ :

In an older dog, a lot of things could be going on......of course cancer has to be a possibility- stomach or intestinal cancer. Now typically cancer would be more of a slow onset but not always

DrMelJ :

Another more likely possibility would be pancreatitis. This is an inflammation of the GI tract usually from eating something they shouldn't. It was good you tried the bland chicken for eating but too bad he couldnt keep that down either.

DrMelJ :

If you can get into the vet soon that would be ideal. They can run some bloodwork and perhaps do an abdominal xray or ultrasound to help diagnose the problem.

DrMelJ :

If you can not get there soon. Continue to try to feed small meals of plain cooked chicken breast. No dog food or treats.

DrMelJ :

If this continues for another 12 hours, he needs to get to the vet immediately. Make sure he keeps drinking water.

DrMelJ :

Best wishes. Let me know if you have any further questions.