Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Despite repeated anti biotics and ear drops, washing the ear

Despite repeated anti biotics and ear drops, washing the ear with salt water as instructed by vet, my king charles x beagle has had a revolting black gunky ear . Could something be lodged in it? Is there anything else available to clear this smelly uncomfortable problem ? He is two.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter :

Welcome and thanks your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

Dr. Peter :

1- Has your vet look at the ear discharge under the microscope or done a culture and sensitivity?

Dr. Peter :

2- Is it one or both ears?

Customer:

It is in the left ear only. Microscope showed fungal and the vet said theyre prone to it. Despite twice a day cleaning it is horrible and shows no sign of abating.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In one ear only, the left. Microscope showed fungal. Vet said they are prone to it. Washing twice a day but no sign of it abating. Jill

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jill, in cases where we see a lack of improvement or repeated ear infection it is often related to having a bacteria that is resistant to the medications being used. To determine the appropriate medication to use I would recommend you speak to your vet about doing a culture and sensitivity (C&S) of the ear discharge. This test will isolate the underlying bacteria (s) and provide a report with a list of antibiotics that would be appropriate to treat the infection. Do Not clean or treat the ear until your vet collects the sample from the ear. Once the sample is collected then continue to clean the ear using an ear cleaning solution not salt water. You can buy an ear cleaning solution over the counter in your local pet store or vet's office. Additional topical medications will be based on the C&S results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter