Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I feed my golden retriever with James Wellbeloved fish and

I feed my golden retriever with James Wellbeloved fish and rice complete breed. He is not a greedy dog and often leaves some, as he is very slim (you can see his ribs)I've started adding a 100gm tin of sardines in olive oil to his feed. His current weight is 29-30 kgs. I have tried other flavours but he eats more of the fishy one currently.
Am I over doing the fish is it okay on a daily basis or is there too much e.g.phosphorus or oil.
Please may I have your advice
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Is he getting the sardines daily?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Susan :

Sardines are fine on a daily basis, they do have a good number of calories and fat to help maintain his weight.

Dr. Susan :

I am a little concerned about the oil, could you get them packed in water instead?

Customer:

Yes I could do but I currently have about a months supply in oil. what if I bought some in water and alternated them?

Dr. Susan :

That sounds like a good start.

Dr. Susan :

Has he ever had an issue previously with pancreatitis?

Customer:

When he was a puppy he had sickness and diarrhoea that was when I started feeding him a diet stomach

Customer:

He's not had pancreatitis

Dr. Susan :

Excellent.

Dr. Susan :

I would be much more concerned if he had a history of pancreatitis.

Dr. Susan :

I think we have a good plan.

Dr. Susan :

Alternate the oil and water until the supply of sardines in oil is gone. Then you can switch to sardines in water only.

Dr. Susan :

You can also supplement his regular kibble with puppy formula too.

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.