Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

, my cat has all the symptoms of a urinary tract infection

, my cat has all the symptoms of a urinary tract infection but he will only eat hard food and it says soft. Any suggestions.
Kay
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Jo :

,

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'll do my best to help you with your question about food .

Dr. Jo :

I'm sorry he's having this problem, but glad you're looking information you need to do what you can to prevent future episodes.

Dr. Jo :

To join the conversation, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

You are correct that canned food is recommended tract health.

Dr. Jo :

I'm sure you're frustrated at trying to do the best thing when he won't eat it.

Dr. Jo :

Rest assured, you have some options. I'll explain.

Dr. Jo :

The reason canned food is recommended tract health is because you want to do all you can to increase the cat's fluid intake.

Dr. Jo :

There are dry food diets available that address all the needs of urinary tract health; they are just short on moisture.

Dr. Jo :

So if Caliban refuses a canned urinary formula, you may feed a dry one and simply do all you can to increase his water intake otherwise.

Dr. Jo :

Some folks have success in adding warm water over the top of the dry kibble.

Dr. Jo :

Others have cats who love to play in and drink water running from the faucet. If that's the case, encourage this and do it often.

Dr. Jo :

Others have shower and bathtub lickers. Again, encourage and allow this frequently.

Dr. Jo :

Another option is the use of a bubbler. Some cats love to play in and drink from a cat fountain.

Dr. Jo :

By taking advantage of creative options like this, you can rest assured you are doing all you can to encourage him to drink. By doing the best you can to maximize his water intake, you're still doing your best to prevent further urinary problems.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are still offline.

Dr. Jo :

Please remember you can join this chat at any time by typing in a REPLY below. I'll be notified via email and will do my best.

Dr. Jo :

We can continue chatting until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I want to be as helpful to you in your situation as possible.

Dr. Jo :

Thank you our website.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.