Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My 11 yr old Labrador is on steroids, painkillers and antibiotics.

Customer Question

My 11 yr old Labrador is on steroids, painkillers and antibiotics. She has now started dripping urine
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. So sorry to hear that Poppy is having this incontinence problem. Steroid treatment will cause and increase in urine production, and the amount of urine can be overwhelming to the bladder sphincter. Also, if Poppy isn't feeling well, then getting up to go outdoors to pee may be difficult . This combination (increased urine production and pain) will generally cause some incontinence.

Dr. Barbara :

The best solution is to go outside to empty her bladder every 2 hours.

Dr. Barbara :

problem is Poppy taking these medications? I'm also wondering what pain killer she is on as there can be a drug conflict with the steroid.

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : 1/2 tablet twice/day salazopyrin, 1 tablet twice a day clinacin, 3 traMacon/day,2 nutraquin/day. She was given 1 antibiotic injection & 1 anti-inflammatory injection today
Dr. Barbara :

I am in the US and so not immediately familiar with the names of the drugs you are writing. Let me go check to see what they are and I'll be back soon!

Dr. Barbara :

First one is sulfasalizine (salazopyrin), clinacin is clindamycin. I can't find traMacon. . .have you spelled this correctly? I'm wondering if this Tramacort?

Dr. Barbara :

Actually, can't find that either. Is this the steroid that she is on? I do have an international search engine . . .if this has a different spelling that would definitely help. Also, do you know what anti inflammatory injection did she get?

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : Tramadol is pain relief
JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : Tramadol is pain management
JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : No don't know name of injection.
Dr. Barbara :

Oh. . .tramadol?????!!!!! I'm very familiar with that!!!!

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : So is this urine leaking serious?
Dr. Barbara :

That is very safe with steroids. The anti inflammatory injection may not be, but it was just given once. Both steroids and NSAIDS (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) are hard on the stomach lining and the two used together can cause ulcers, as well as liver inflammation. If Poppy wasn't dripping urine before then she probably doesn't have hormonal bladder incontinence which many older spayed female dogs have trouble with. She probably has bladder overflow incontinence, and will need to be taken or put outdoors frequently. . .possibly every 2 hours. Is she able to urinate well when she does go outside. . .good stream?

Dr. Barbara :

Not serious if it is what it sounds like. . .increased production of urine due to the steroids. long has she been on the steroids?

Dr. Barbara :

Has Poppy been diagnosed with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and arthritis?

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : Yes to IBD and arthritis. Last urinated 5.30pm( GMT) been leaking since then. On steroids. 4 weeks.
Dr. Barbara :

Thought so. So the last time she was outside was 5 hours ago. . .correct? Do you know if she urinated a large amount then? Did she start leaking immediately after?

Dr. Barbara :

What steroid and what dose of

Dr. Barbara :

oooooops! I was asking, what steroid and at what dose?

Dr. Barbara :

Another cause of dripping urine would be a bladder or urinary tract infection. If she just started on antibiotics today, then that may be your vets suspicion that she has a UTI.

Dr. Barbara :

Steroids do make dogs more prone to infections. . .true of all animals including us.

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : 50mg Tramadol per tablet, 500mg per tablet salazopyrin, 150mg per tablet clinacin
Dr. Barbara :

None of those are steroids.

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : Must have misunderstood vet then. Are any of those likely to cause this problem?
Dr. Barbara :

When you wrote Tramcon above, and then said she was taking tramadol I thought these were one and the same. Tramadol is not a steroid but an opiate type pain reliever.

Dr. Barbara :

Steroids can be helpful in IBD.

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : This may be the next step. My vet has mentioned that he may prescribe steroids if she doesn't improve. Is there anything I can do re leaking urine problem?
Dr. Barbara :

Has she had this leaking or incontinence problem before?

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : No
Dr. Barbara :

Also, now I understand that she really isn't on anything chronically arthritis except the Nutraquin. This is a nutritional supplement basically of glucosamine, chondroitin, Vit. C and Zinc. There is no scientific evidence that this does anything joints, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence. My own 10 1/2 year old dog takes one too.

Dr. Barbara :

Sorry the questions. So, Poppy isn't on anything that would cause either an overabundance of urine or a weak bladder sphincter. I suspect then that she does have a bladder/urethral infection, or she has developed other things that cause so much urine like: diabetes, Cushing's disease (adrenal gland abnormality that is rather common in older dogs), Addison's disease (another such adrenal disease), or kidney disease. One other thought. . .did your vet give Poppy some fluids under her skin today?

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : No fluids given
Dr. Barbara :

That would have explained her increased urine production. . .darn!

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : :-:)
Dr. Barbara :

, make sure she gets outdoors to empty her bladder every 2 hours or so, and make sure she has plenty of water to drink. You may want to withhold water beginning 1 hour before bedtime, get her out once or twice overnight, and then allow her free access to water. It sounds to me that Poppy hasn't had a full blood profile or a urinalysis including a urine culture and a urine cortisol/creatinine ratio, and she should have these labs run to sort out what is going on . Some people like to use disposable diapers on their dogs and some use incontinence padding beds.

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : She has had a urine infection befor but never been incontinent with it. I have got padding now. I was just worried in case it signified a deterioration in her condition. Her rear legs are becoming weaker and she is underweight.
Dr. Barbara :

Really, it is a blessing that she is underweight. . .much better joints! My dog is the same way. . .she's bearing more and more weight on her forelimbs and balances quite a bit with her rear legs.

Dr. Barbara :

This leaking would not be related to her IBD or arthritis. I just had another thought. . .was the injection she got today (or one of them) a steroid? Your vet said that it was an anti inflammatory. . .right? Steroids are an anti inflammatory.

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : Yes the injection was a steroid.
Dr. Barbara :

:-))))). This is the cause of her leaking!!!!!

Dr. Barbara :

So all you have to do is give her plenty of water and get her outside frequently.

JACUSTOMER-0sqc9shh- : Thanks. Glad it's not serious! Vet does not think that she has another year left! Her rear legs have deteriorated over the last few months.
Grace,
Thank you very kind rating and a bonus! Greatly appreciated!!!!!
I'll bet she has at least another year! Ultimately, joints you may want to get her on a regular NSAID. These can be very helpful. Or if she ends up on steroids IBD, this will help her joints too. You'll probably see an improvement in her joints from the injection she had today. . .a good effect!
Glad we figured out her leaking! Hope you have a very good night,
Dr. Barbara