Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My G/S has red patches on his mouth and his jules is this something

My G/S has red patches on his mouth and his jules is this something I should be worried about
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

& welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long have the patches been present?

Any pustules, pimples, ulcers, sores or crusts on the skin?

Does the area appear to be itchy to Alfie?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (How To). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Patches have been about 2wks he has no sores or pimples .He licks his lips alot more than usual
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Betty,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, there are a number of issues that can cause redness and irritation (likely why he is licking) to the mouth an jowls area. This is why I was keen photo if possible, as it does let me see what you are seeing.

That aside, based on your description, it sounds like Alfie actually has a lip fold pyoderma. This is a bacterial infection of the lips and area around the mouth that can arise due to skin trauma but is more often related to the skin remaining overly damp after eating/drinking. In either case, the skin is vulnerable to bacterial infection and the local skin bacteria don't hesitate to take advantage of the situation to cause redness, inflammation, and irritation. With time it can spread down the chin/neck region and can lead to pimples, pustules, and very sore ulcers.

Now since this is in reach of his tongue, we often find our home treatment options limited. We don't often find success in topical creams since our dogs often will lick off anything we apply to this area. So, the mainstay of home care is to keep the area as clean (especially doing so after meals) and dry as possible. To do so, we need to makes ure to use dog safe cleansers like dilute chlorohexidine or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). These are both mild antiseptics and while not particularly nice tasting would be safe to use as a cleanser in this area.

As well, it is worth noting that if he is fed on a plastic dish, this could actually be playing a role in these signs. The reason is that the porous nature of plastic allows bacteria to accumulate and sit in a perfect location to then come in contact with his lip. So, if he happens to eat from plastic (or even styrofoam) plates, then consider changing him to stainless steel or ceramic to decrease any risk of exposure in that manner.

Overall, it sounds like he just has a mild bacterial infection that is targeting his lip and jowl region. And in mild cases like this, we usually can settle them just with topical cleansing of the area. Of course, if he is very irritated or you were to see any of those skin changes I noted, then that would be suggestive of a deeper infection and we'd want to have his vet dispense a short course of oral antibiotics to clear this .

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.