Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

9month shihtzu could not pass motion gave 5ml lactulose and

9month shihtzu could not pass motion gave 5ml lactulose and rimadyl she is brighter now but she has been to toilet and noticed two small spots of blood
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

& welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If Paris was constipated and really struggling to pass feces, then it is not unexpected that we could see those small drops of blood. This is often related to straining to go leading to increased irritation or pressure on the colon.

Therefore, I would not be panicked about this alone but advise closely monitoring her at this stage. If we were to see blood leaking from her rectum when not passing stools, more blood when passing stools, paling of her gums (a sign that the blood loss is significant), or black feces (a sign of digested blood); then we'd want to have her seen urgently by your local vet to make sure there is nothing sinister a foot.

Otherwise, we want to monitor that she remains comfortable and potentially consider offering a light diet option few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). This can be fed as small, frequent meals and is just easy gut to digest and therefore will reduce strain on the GI.

Overall, 2 drops of blood after she was struggling to pass her motions is not cause . But we just want to keep an eye that we see no more now that she has passed that difficult stool, remains bright and comfortable.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )