Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My 7 year old male cat suddenly died on Sunday and I am completely

My 7 year old male cat suddenly died on Sunday and I am completely saddened and confused as to how this could have happened. He was absolutely fine the night before and was eating and drinking normally. On Sunday morning I heard this horrific noise coming from the kitchen and found my cat collapsed on the floor. He was shacking uncontrollably, had pooed himself, had saliva coming from his mouth, difficulty breathing and this constant noise like he was in pain. We rushed him to the vets within 20 minutes and after 6 hours of intensive treatment the vet advised that it was most likely neurological issues and that there was nothing more they could do. They performed every test possible and ruled everything out other than neurological issues.
It is killing me not to know and whether we could have done anything different to save him
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet : there, vet Andrew here. What a terrible shock . If I may, I'd like to ask some questions and hopefully I can provide some answers.
Vet : 1. Was Marley a pedigree cat of any sort?
Vet : 2. Was he under any treatment, or could he have got access to any poisons, such as slug pellets or rat bait?
Vet : 3. It sounds like Marley was having a seizure. Can you remember any of the tests the vet did? Don't worry if you can't.
Customer: Marley was inot a pedigree
Customer: He had done treament injury about 4 weeks ago when he was put on antibiotics
Customer: the vet performed the following tests
Customer: inhouse idexx chem 17 with haematology, lab blood sampling, lab bm9 St and sediment, on iv fluids, blood pressure, iv syringe driver monitor, cocoon warming blanket, radiograph standard and extra image
Vet : What sort of injury happened 4 weeks ago?
Customer: He had been in a fight and had a leg injury
Vet : OK, thanks. It sounds like your vet did a thorough job.
Vet : From your description, Marley was having a full seizure, or fit, known as a grand mal. There are two main causes - those within the brain, and those outside. Brain-related causes include tumours, infections, injuries and standard epilepsy. Things that cause seizures from outside the brain include kidney and liver disease, and poisonings. What your vet was doing with all those tests was ruling out possible causes from outside the brain, as these are generally easier to diagnose and treat. They were also providing supportive treatment to improve his chances of survival. This is what all vets would have done. What we can't usually do is scan -related causes, as these don't show up on normal X-rays, and CT and MRI scans are not feasible in general practice.
Vet : Having ruled out the non-brain causes, your vet has reasonably concluded that Marley had a problem with his brain, and such things are hard to treat.
Vet : Epilepsy is unlikely given his age, as most animals develop it early in life. A old head injury is possible, as the effects can often come back many years later. A tumour would normally have started showing signs before causing fits, but it is certainly possible.
Customer: So it sounds like it was the brain but why so sudden and what would have caused it
Vet : If I had to give you one answer, it would be a tumour, as although quite rare, we do see them in cats, and sometimes the first time we see the cat is while fitting as you describe.
Vet : Cats with brain tumours are often surprisingly healthy beforehand too.
Vet : What I would like you to know is that, during the seizure, Marley would not have been conscious, so would not have been suffering. You did exactly the right thing by taking him straight to the vets, and they would have taken good care of him. I know how distressing this must have been , but rest assured there is no more you could have done.
Customer: Would any of his vaccinations prevented this happening as one was slightly out of date
Vet : Was the leukaemia up to date?
Vet : By leukaemia I mean the FeLV vaccine, but on consideration any illness related to this would most likely have shown up on the tests your vet did. So in answer to your question: No, the vaccinations would not have been a factor here.
Vet : I hope I have been of some help to you. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: This was the vaccination that wS out of date since last May would this have made a difference
Vet : As I say, any illness related to the vaccinations would have shown up before the seizure, or been detected by the tests.
Customer: Would leukaemia show up in the tests
Vet : There would have been changes in the blood tests, yes. But more importantly, cats are much more likely to get FeLV when young, so a middle-aged cat like Marley would be highly unlikely to contract the disease, especially if his previous vaccines had been up to date.
Customer: All previous vaccinations were all up to date but I guess I will never know whether this was a contributing factor
Vet : No, we'll never know, but it's not very likely.
Vet : Do you have any further questions?
Customer: No thanks help
Vet : No problem. I wish you all the best, ***** ***** my condolences loss. Regards, ***** *****
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience: I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.