Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

my yorkshire terrier has been sick and is having trouble

my yorkshire terrier has been sick and is having trouble walkin she is very shakey unsteady and seems as if her balance is all out of kilt this has happened before and we saw the vet as we thought she was having fits.i had her out walk this morning and it is -3 deg and she was shivering and her back legs were wobbely which happened before so i picked her up and brought her home/ usually if we keep her warm it passes. but she is still shakey

Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Dogs : there, vet Andrew here.
Dogs : From what you describe there are several possible causes, but the most likely one at Bonnie's age is a middle ear infection - this causes loss of balance and sickness just as iot does in humans.
Customer:

maybe but she has no control and arches her back and cant walk properly as her legs seem to lock up in a spasam

Dogs : In any case I would take her back to your vet and ask that they examine her ears if they have not already done so. There may be signs of infection there but she will likely need a course of antibiotics, anti-sickness drugs and an ear treatment.
Dogs : If it turns out not to be her ears then I would highly recommend blood tests, as in my opinion what you describe is not a harmless breed-related behaviour but could be a sign of something more serious. I haven't examined Bonnie, so of course cannot comment further.
Customer:

both of them have had blood tests done but i will take her back to the vet

Dogs : That would be the safest idea, as if you do nothing the likelihood is that the problem will keep happening or worsen.
Customer:

i understand thank you

Dogs : Do you have any further questions?
Customer:

no thank you

Dogs : OK, I wish you the best of luck. Regards, ***** *****