Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My Gsd have bloody spot in her bum and when she do poo blood

Customer Question

My Gsd have bloody spot in her bum and when she do poo blood is in the poo ?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are you seeing any swelling on her butt?
2- Where exactly is the blood coming from; the anal sphincter or the skin next to the sphincter?
3- Does she have diarrhea?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The skin next to the sphincter no swelling yes she have diarrhea but not all time she have good diet i have 2 dogs they are young play 6-7 hour a day have 3 walks a day and i have thinking that diarrehea is because they play because is not all time

.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- To make sure I got this right, is the skin opened next to the anal sphincter?
2- So she currently does not have diarrhea but you saw blood in the stool, correct?
3- Is she licking the area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1 yes

2 yes

3 no

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Anne, I believe what you are seeing in your dog is a ruptured anal gland. You see, dogs have 2 glands inside their rectum that sometimes become impacted and rupture through the side of the butt. This explains why you are seeing blood in the stool as well. This is Not a life threatening condition but should be seen by family veterinarian to express the anal glands and start her on oral antibiotics and anti inflammatory medications. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the area, if she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the area 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter