Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Paris now has runny stools she has had a dose of lactulose

Paris now has runny stools she has had a dose of lactulose earlyer on no blood only had chicken and rice today will this calm down she is a lot quiter than normal
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was she seen by a vet that prescribed lactulose?
2- How long did she have without having a bowel movement before starting lactulose?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She had the same problem 3month ago and the vet prescribed lactulose and Renault tablets two days ago she was trying to go to toilet and straining passing little gave her lactulose she has had two 5ml to day one morning and one about 5 to night and has been twice and very runny motion now had a drink and fast asleep
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Prior to giving the lactulose was she able to pass any stool? If not, how long?
2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She was able but she was straining as if she was consterpated and two spots of blood no other siymptoms only a lot quiter staying in her bed
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Carol, when a dog is straining certainly it could be a sign of constipation. However, sometimes it could be secondary to inflammation in the colon (colitis) and not constipation. In this case, the fact that you are seeing blood and she was passing stool I believe she was not constipated instead she has colitis. There are many possible causes in dogs. It will be difficult to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body. Do Not give any lactulose.

2- No food or water -12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter