Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

our vet has recommended surgery on my King Charles' Cavalier's

our vet has recommended surgery on my King Charles' Cavalier's elongated soft palate.
The problem is there is a lot of conflicted advice with many people saying the surgery can have complications and is not necessary. I just don't know whose advice to follow.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet :

there, vet Andrew here.

Customer:

Vet :

It seems like Barney has been diagnosed with one feature of Upper Airway Disease, which is common in shorter-snouted breeds like the CKCS. Surgery is only necessary in these breeds if the problem affects their quality of life.

Customer:

i would not say it does affect his quality of life.

Customer:

it effects mine as it is near impossible to sleep now with the snoring (!) but that is my problem not his

Customer:

however the vet said it would only get worse if we don't operate and he could faint or collapse in later life.

Customer:

i thought that was a little strange as this is my 3rd CKC and i have never heard that before

Vet :

Does the problem affect his exercise?

Customer:

no

Customer:

just at night

Customer:

gagging, coughing and the snoring

Vet :

OK, there are other things to try before surgery. I would initially manage these cases with weight loss, if needed, and ensuring the sleeping area is well-ventilated and their bedding is not forcing a curled sleeping position.

Vet :

However, if the problem worsens, there could be fainting but more importantly the rest of the airway may be affected by the force of restricted breathing - the larynx could collapse, the tonsils could flop out into the airway, and the stomach may be drawn into the chest partially. These effects are mainly seen in badly-affected breeds like bulldogs, not CKCS.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

he is not over weight and the bedroom is well ventilated

Customer:

his bed does not force him to curl

bed
Full Size Image

Customer:

but he does tend to cuddle up like the above

Vet :

My approach would be the conservative one above, then surgery if the problem worsens and starts to affect exercise.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

thank-you

Vet :

The surgery on the soft palate, especially if only a little is trimmed, is less likely to lead to complications than other parts anyway.

Customer:

it is also very expensive here, around £3000

Vet :

Very drastic palate resections can lead to swallowing problems.

Vet :

Where are you?

Customer:

london

Customer:

do you think I have been over quoted?

Vet :

The surgery needs an experienced hand best results, but that would probably be the top end of what I have heard. Is Barney insured?

Customer:

no

Customer:

ok, well thank-you

Customer:

it is good to get a second opinion

Vet :

That's what I was about to suggest.

Vet :

Do you have a relative in perhaps a more rural area who could take Barney in to a local referral practice?

Customer:

no, sadly just me.

Customer:

but I dont mind travelling, I could look around

Vet :

It wouldn't hurt to ring around quote. You have no obligation to stay with your current vet if the prices are too high.

Customer:

someone suggested the animal hospital in potters bar

Customer:

i'll try that

Customer:

thank-you

Vet :

No problem. As I say, get a second opinion and quote from them and take it from there.

Customer:

ok thanks

Vet, Veterinarian
Experience: I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.