Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is very sleepy, her heart is pounding and her stomach

My dog is very sleepy, her heart is pounding and her stomach issuing awful bubbling sounds. She hasn't eaten her food today . This has happened before but we realised it was because we had given her a full dentastic which we was told may have been too much for her as she is only a small dog .. She is booked in at 9:10am in the morning to be spaded and I'm worrying about her??? Please help??
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
3- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take her rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok she may have picked something up in the garden?
No vomiting diarrhoea or coughing
Her gums look pale pink (not sure how pink they should be)
Unfortunately I don't have anything to take her temperature
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is she drinking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No . I have an 18month old daughter with lots of toys and tulip has a tendency to chew then so could it be this?? Also is it wise for her to go ahead with her op tomorrow??
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Kirsty, lethargy (no energy) is a very non specific symptom and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, in a puppy common causes are: Infections (fever), ingestion of a foreign body, etc. The stomach sounds are likely to be gas (not eating) and smooth muscle contraction in the intestinal tract.
As far as the surgery for tomorrow, she may need to reschedule for surgery until your vet is able to determine the exact underlying cause of her lethargy. She is not a good candidate for anesthesia in this state. For tonight, I would recommend you give her water with a dropper directly into her mouth. If possible, offer her a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef; blend the food and feed her small amounts with a turkey baster or dropper. Follow up in the morning with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter