Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog's eye was stuck closed this morning with pus, I have

My dog's eye was stuck closed this morning with pus, I have just used warm water to try to soften it as it was stuck hard! I'm worried about him as he is blind in the other eye, what can I do to help until I get him to my vet om Monday? Kay
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today,

Dr. Susan :

When the discharge becomes dry and hard, you can use a warm compress as you did today.

Dr. Susan :

I also recommend using a sterile eyewash (saline rinse) which is available over the counter at human pharmacies.

Dr. Susan :

To prevent the discharge as much as possible, I also recommend using a rewetting drop.

Dr. Susan :

These are also available over the counter for people.

Dr. Susan :

I recommend using a brand like Blink or Genteal.

Dr. Susan :

Use one of the thicker gel formulations - these say for overnight use.

Dr. Susan :

These thicker drops will last longer so you do not have to apply as often.

Dr. Susan :

Even with the gel formula, you can use as often as every 1-2 hours.

Dr. Susan :

Was the discharge green or yellow in color?

Customer: I suppose I'd call it a greeny yellow.
Dr. Susan :

OK, I think he has either conjunctivitis, OR an infection secondary to dry eye (KCS).

Dr. Susan :

How old is he?

Customer: He is a rescue dog and I believe he is eleven and he does have "dry eye" anyway! I put gel in both eyes every morning.
Dr. Susan :

Oh I see, it is very common to see conjunctivitis periodically with dogs that have dry eye.

Dr. Susan :

For now, just try to keep them well lubricated with the drops and comfortable with the warm compresses.

Dr. Susan :

When you say you use gel for him in the morning, is this just lubricant drops or is it a medication?

Dr. Susan :

Medications like tacrolimus and cyclosporine can help to control his signs more effectively.

Customer: It is a medication from my vet and she checks the level of liquid in both eyes every so often.
Dr. Susan :

Perfect, it sounds like your vet is doing a wonderful job following up on the dry eye condition.

Dr. Susan :

Now we just need to keep him comfortable until Monday when you can get a prescription topical ophthalmic antibiotic.

Dr. Susan :

You're doing a great job :)

Customer: I'll follow your advice, thank you for your help!
Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer: I'm going to go to the pharmacy and get the sterile eye wash you recommended now and I'll take him to my vet on Monday! Thank you again.