Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dog's eye was stuck closed this morning with pus, I have

My dog's eye was stuck closed this morning with pus, I have just used warm water to try to soften it as it was stuck hard! I'm worried about him as he is blind in the other eye, what can I do to help until I get him to my vet om Monday? Kay
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today,

Dr. Susan :

When the discharge becomes dry and hard, you can use a warm compress as you did today.

Dr. Susan :

I also recommend using a sterile eyewash (saline rinse) which is available over the counter at human pharmacies.

Dr. Susan :

To prevent the discharge as much as possible, I also recommend using a rewetting drop.

Dr. Susan :

These are also available over the counter for people.

Dr. Susan :

I recommend using a brand like Blink or Genteal.

Dr. Susan :

Use one of the thicker gel formulations - these say for overnight use.

Dr. Susan :

These thicker drops will last longer so you do not have to apply as often.

Dr. Susan :

Even with the gel formula, you can use as often as every 1-2 hours.

Dr. Susan :

Was the discharge green or yellow in color?

Customer: I suppose I'd call it a greeny yellow.
Dr. Susan :

OK, I think he has either conjunctivitis, OR an infection secondary to dry eye (KCS).

Dr. Susan :

How old is he?

Customer: He is a rescue dog and I believe he is eleven and he does have "dry eye" anyway! I put gel in both eyes every morning.
Dr. Susan :

Oh I see, it is very common to see conjunctivitis periodically with dogs that have dry eye.

Dr. Susan :

For now, just try to keep them well lubricated with the drops and comfortable with the warm compresses.

Dr. Susan :

When you say you use gel for him in the morning, is this just lubricant drops or is it a medication?

Dr. Susan :

Medications like tacrolimus and cyclosporine can help to control his signs more effectively.

Customer: It is a medication from my vet and she checks the level of liquid in both eyes every so often.
Dr. Susan :

Perfect, it sounds like your vet is doing a wonderful job following up on the dry eye condition.

Dr. Susan :

Now we just need to keep him comfortable until Monday when you can get a prescription topical ophthalmic antibiotic.

Dr. Susan :

You're doing a great job :)

Customer: I'll follow your advice, thank you for your help!
Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer: I'm going to go to the pharmacy and get the sterile eye wash you recommended now and I'll take him to my vet on Monday! Thank you again.
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics