Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My male neuter cat has a loss of hair on one side of his back.

Customer Question

My male neuter cat has a loss of hair on one side of his back. It's not circular and the rest of his coat is in excellent condition. I know what ringworm looks like and it doesn't look like that. It's a longish thin area and I can see hair on the skin. Can you give me any advice, do I need to supplement his diet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

At the site of the hair loss, are you seeing any changes to the skin (ie redness, ulcers, sores, pustules, pimples, crusts, or scabs)?

Does the area seem itchy?

To allow me to see what you are seeing here, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no changes to the skin at all, nor does the area seem itchy. I will try and take a photo but it might not be possible
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

If you can that would be grand, as it does let me see what you are seeing. The reason that is so important is because it allows me to rule out issues and narrow down the causes for his signs so that I can advise you on how to properly approach this for your lad.

So, do try to get a photo and I will keep my eyes peeled for it.
Speak to you soon,
Dr. B.