Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My dog gets colitis and keeps having a noisy tummy n won't

My dog gets colitis and keeps having a noisy tummy n won't eat ? What shall I do
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to talk to you about what's going on with your dog's colitis.

Dr. Jo :

Please rest assured I will discuss this with you until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

Dr. Jo :

It will be helpful to me if you are available to join in the conversation to provide additional information

Dr. Jo :

To join the chat, simply type in what you want to say and click REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

Please let me start by saying this is a very common problem. I'm so sorry you are dealing with it, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Dr. Jo :

There are also a lot of different things that can cause colitis in a dog.

Dr. Jo :

It's really important to find out which one is behind your dog's issues so you know what kind of treatment will work.

Dr. Jo :

Without a diagnosis, your left with only guess work.

Dr. Jo :

To help your dog, I would recommend the following:

Dr. Jo :

1. Avoid dietary changes. Whenever it is necessary to feed a different food or ingredient, switch over gradually. Take several days to gradually change what you are feeding him.

Dr. Jo :

2. Do a dietary trial with a diet specifically formulated for a dog with colitis or a sensitive stomach. All the major manufacturers make them and they are available through your veterinarian there in the UK.

Dr. Jo :

3. Be sure your dog has been routinely dewormed. This should be done every month, or at least several times a year.

Dr. Jo :

4. Because there is no such thing as a dewormer that can control every type of parasite, have a stool sample analyzed by your veterinarian. They will look microscopically for parasite eggs and protozoal cysts. If these are contributing to your dog's colitis, then the appropriate treatment can be administered.

Dr. Jo :

5. Prevent access to human food, especially anything rich and fatty. Also prevent access to nonfood items and plants.

Dr. Jo :

Taking those 5 steps above is often times enough to solve a problem like yours.

Dr. Jo :

Sometimes it's not, though.

Dr. Jo :

Recurrent colitis can be a symptom of several major diseases and it can take a lot of work with a veterinarian to get to the bottom of it.

Dr. Jo :

Examinations (including rectal), blood tests, other types of fecal tests, and even intestinal biopsies are sometimes necessary.

Dr. Jo :

So, I hope you can find some benefit in knowing there is A LOT that can be done to try to help your dog get over this problem.

Dr. Jo :

It is very, very rare for a dog to have issues like this that we veterinarians can NEVER find the reason for. We usually get to the bottom of it and are able to come up with a treatment plan that works.

Dr. Jo :

I hope this information helps.

Dr. Jo :

I see you are still offline.

Dr. Jo :

This really is all the information I have for you at this point, without further feedback from you about your unique situation and what you've already tried.

Dr. Jo :

Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.

You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more at no additional charge to you. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.

If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat.

If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.

Thank you for using our website.

Customer: Thank you very much ... I find it hard when shed won't eat and seems to be loosing weight. We find a good food for her and then she just stops eating again . Dies it hurt for her to not eat for a day?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have tried these but she won't settle to a food and keeps stopping eating ... Is a day not eating too harmful? She seems to be losing weight x