Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a male 2 year old Labrador, I would like another small

I have a male 2 year old Labrador, I would like another small dog, what breed and sex would you advise please.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

Scott Nimmo :

Is your Lab good with other dogs? Is he usually quite friendly with them?

Customer: Yes a
Customer: always wants to plsy.
Scott Nimmo :

OK I thought that might be the case, if he is very playful you do not want too small a breed of dog as a companion in case he inadvertently knocks it when he playing, in that case something around the size of a Beagle would be best ...

Scott Nimmo :

With a Lab it probably does not matter too much what the sex of the companion dog will be, they are very social dogs, but on balance a male dog is more likely to get on with a female dog ...

Customer: i live in the country surrounded by fields, would a beagle not want to go hunting..... I had a combination of a ***** ***** Bitch and a Labrador dog, in the past. The ***** ***** was 3 when we had our Lab, she accepted him and they were good pals up to her death. Lost them both within 2 months, 18 and 15 years old.
Customer: my worry is the ***** ***** did not like other dogs and my children both have digs of their own and of course being them to visit. Bar hie gets on with them and I want another dog to do the same.
Customer: Excuse my typing.
Scott Nimmo :

Ah good point, Beagles could be a bit that way, Maybe a good idea then would be to get a Lab X from an animal shelter, I am sure there will be many wanting good homes. Lots of animal shelters will let you have a one week trial to see how they get on. Failing that a Border Collie might be a good idea, not too big, very smart and will love to run about with your Lab.

Scott Nimmo :

No problem with the typing :-)

Customer: oh ok, I was thinking of a smaller breed, but because of my location I also wanted a good house dog, my lab is gorgeous but never barks and lets anyone in.
Scott Nimmo :

The border collie would probably be a good guard and bark, perhaps a Springer Spaniel, again not too big but would love to rough and tumble with your Lab

Customer: Would you not advise a ***** ***** or one of the cross breeds. I would have liked a lap dog. The breeds you are suggesting are still on The large side.
Scott Nimmo :

Terrier breeds like Jacks would be fines as well as long as they are not too small , a medium sized one would be able to stand up to the rough and tumble with the Lab. You know my favourite smaller breed is the Shiba Inu, I really like their looks and temperament.

Customer: Would you advise dog or bitch
Scott Nimmo :

Better a female dog I think if you already have a male, but Labs are very kind and get on well with other dogs so it may not matter that much ...

Customer: My daughter has a male chorkie and my son a female West Highland So with that combination what would you advise?
Scott Nimmo :

Avoid the terrier in that case because they can be dominant with dogs they do not know well and live with, perhaps the spaniel ...

Customer: Ok thank you
Scott Nimmo :

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Customer: im still in a quandary I here what you say but I think a Spaniel and a lab together might be a little too big for my cottage.
Scott Nimmo :

In a way this has been quite a hard question to answer because there is a lot of personal preference here, however when the right dog comes along you will know it, perhaps a terrier cross, that size of dog which is looking for a good home from an animal shelter ...