Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

we have a 18 month old Labrador and he started to eat grass

Customer Question

Hi we have a 18 month old Labrador and he started to eat grass today and then refuse to eat his breakfast but drinking ok. He cant get comfortable and is standing with his from paws flat and his hind legs straight. I am told this is a sign he is in some slight pain. He has gone to sleep now but them wakes up and stretches and back into the funny position again. we have two other Labradors and our 6 year old has had a bad tummy for a few days but okay now. Our9 year old lab is fine.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Teddie is not feeling well. The fact that he is eating grass tells me that he is uncomfortable probably from a digestive disturbance. I would expect vomiting but even without that, I feel he may have ingested something that did not agree with him...for now , follow these instructions:

Fast Teddie for 12-24 hrs which he is doing himself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Teddie Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If he is feeling better, then wean him back to his regular meal. If he is still not feeling well, take him to your vet for an exam....there are more serious conditions that may require veterinary care.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, teddie keeps positioning himself in the praying position. He just cant seem to get comfortable. His nose is cold but not wet. He is drinking small amounts but I wonder whether we should see the emergency vet as I keep reading that lying in the praying position could indicate pancreatitis.

HI Robert...this position indicates discomfort but not necessarily Pancreatitis. It will not hurt, of course to see the ER vet....better to be safe or try the treatment I gave you for a day. It does not appear serious but I am not there to see Teddie so if you are not comfortable with waiting by all means, take him to the ER vet...that is the best rather than guessing.
Thank you so much, Robert, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Teddie feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!!