Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

pekin robin struggling to pass and is breathing gulping ba

pekin robin struggling to pass and is breathing gulping badly
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

My name is***** and I am here to help you with your questions about this robin.

Dr. Jo :

Are you still there?

Dr. Jo :

It sounds like you are watching her go through a really difficult time. I

Dr. Jo :

I'm not sure what I can do to help, but I am here to listen.

Dr. Jo :

You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY.

Dr. Jo :

While I wait for word from you, I can let you know that this breathing/gulping behavior is called "agonal breathing" and it usually occurs very close to the end.

Dr. Jo :

I'm so sorry.

Dr. Jo :

Are you wanting to know what you can do to try to make passing as comfortable as possible for her?

Dr. Jo :

Because birds are potentially prey animals, they feel safest when in a quiet, dark environment.

Dr. Jo :

She will most likely be most comfortable if she feels protected.

Dr. Jo :

Also, whenever a bird is ill or injured, they tend to be cold. They show this by being fluffed up. If she is fluffed, she needs extra warmth.

Dr. Jo :

You can provide this in the form of a heat lamp or by putting her in a warm and steamy bathroom.

Dr. Jo :

Please let me know if you have a specific question or concern that I can address. I want to be as helpful as possible during this difficult time.

Customer:

i had this pair of pekin robins for 4 days and the hen looked awful when arrived with head and plumage very bed and tail rear end and legs covered in mess, she has always been gulping and heavy breathing and now today she hasnt stopped and got worse and the cock is starting to peck on head now cus shes making alot of noise i take it?

Customer:

they are indoors with light on them

Dr. Jo :

Yes. Birds can be very mean to each other when once is ill or injured.

Dr. Jo :

I apologize for my delay, but I need to go see a kitten who's having trouble breathing. I will pause the chat timer and be back absolutely as soon as possible. We can keep discussing this.

Customer:

although this hen still jumps around and drinks plenty honey water and max/meal worms

Customer:

i have put more wax and meal worms in and she comes down and gobbles up

Dr. Jo :

Dr. Jo :

I am back.

Dr. Jo :

Sorry about that.

Customer:

ok

Dr. Jo :

Because of the length of time she has been doing it, I do NOT think this is agonal breathing.

Dr. Jo :

That would last only for a few minutes and takes place right before death.

Dr. Jo :

This sounds more like labored breathing that would accompany pneumonia or heart disease.

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, this is still bad news.

Customer:

shes been chirping like this all day but eating drinking ok

Customer:

but passes with discomfort

Dr. Jo :

When you say "passes with discomfort", what do you mean, please?

Customer:

when she goes to toilet she becomes unsteady and wobbles on perch few times

Dr. Jo :

When you said she is "struggling to pass" I thought you meant she is struggling to die. I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding. I see now you were talking about something completely different.

Dr. Jo :

This is much more hopeful, obviously.

Dr. Jo :

I'm very glad she is still willing to eat.

Dr. Jo :

I would recommend the following:

Dr. Jo :

-Please put her in an enclosure of her own.

Dr. Jo :

This will help protect her from the male and will also help contain the spread of any contagious illnesses.

Customer:

oh sorry, it seems all her digestive and passing through is not good

Dr. Jo :

It will also make it easier for you to observe her eating, drinking and eliminations.

Dr. Jo :

If she is fluffed at all, add supplemental heat in the form of a heat lamp.

Dr. Jo :

You are doing the right thing by offering her food and making it easy for her to eat. Please continue that.

Dr. Jo :

And she will need to see a veterinarian. This could be a bacterial, viral, or fungal problem, or any of a number of different things.

Dr. Jo :

She needs a full physical examination and possibly even x-rays or lab work to determine the problem.

Dr. Jo :

Then the appropriate treatment or medication can be prescribed.

Dr. Jo :

Your local vet should be able to tell you where the closest vet is who will treat birds.

Dr. Jo :

With proper veterinary care, I'm hopeful she'll pull through.

Dr. Jo :

Unfortunately, short of keeping her isolated, warm, dry, and fed, there really isn't any home care or other first aid you can do.

Dr. Jo :

Does this help?

Customer:

i will put her on own for now

Dr. Jo :

Yes. Keeping her separate is really important.

Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.