Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 10 year old king charles cavalier (male) had diarrohea last

My 10 year old king charles cavalier (male) had diarrohea last thursday and friday. That has improved but the last 2 days he has been drinking and urinating (pale in color) a lotmore than usual. He also appears much more hungry than usual.
Last night he woke me three times to drink and wee and looks like the same will happen tonight.
He seems o.k in himself and normal on walk.
Please could you give me advice.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any pre existing medical conditions?
2- Is he on any medications?
3- Is he losing weight?
4- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has a low grade heart murmer . Not on any medications. And no other symptoms I can see. Up till yesterday his weight was static at 15k

(He is a large dog for this breed) not obese. This last week he has gone down to 14k which is unusual.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Linda, the pale color urine is directly related to the increase water intake. You see, the more water one drinks the more diluted the urine will be giving the pale appearance. The big question is: Why is he drinking more than usual? When a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. The fact that he has an increased appetite I would place diabetes high on the list of possible causes.
To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Highly recommend having him checked as soon as you can, important to rule out diabetes.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter