Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My elderl Old English Sheepdog has been diagnosed with tumou

My elderl Old English Sheepdog has been diagnosed with tumou between the liver and the pancreas but apart from appetite loss the main symptom is coughing .chest x ray shows no fluid on lungs but he appears to be very congested.he did contract kennel cough years ago.what causes this congestion now.?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

Scott Nimmo :

Sorry to hear about your dog ...

Scott Nimmo :

Where a dog has an abdominal tumour, coughing of that nature is not uncommon, despite your x-ray this could be due to early stage secondary lung cancer of early stage congestion of the lung field, that would be your two main possibilities.

Scott Nimmo :

But also consider a lung infection related to a reduced immune system ...

Scott Nimmo :

Have you tried any treatment for his symptoms?

Customer: Have been prescribed Noroclav 500mg Prednisolone 25mg and Traadol 50mg all1tablet twice daily
Scott Nimmo :

That sounds fine, I guess you are not going to try any direct treatment for the cancer { surgery, chemotherapy etc. }? if this is the case you may want to ask your vet if a diuretic such as Lasix would be an option, this class of drug can often markedly reduce congestion and coughing in the short term from whatever cause. This could be worth a trial ...

Customer: T
Customer: Thanks
Scott Nimmo :

No problem, in this sort of situation there are often no winners but it is good to keep trying to find the drug combination that gives the maximum relief ...

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.