DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

Why does my dog keep licking the carpet, blankets, seats of

Customer Question

Why does my dog keep licking the carpet, blankets, seats of cars?
No food spilt on the above.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Constant licking....Like eating grass...can be a sign of nausea or upset stomach. Or oral irritation. You could try putting the dog on famotidine (Pepcid AC) 2x/day and see if it helps. Or he/she has foul smelling breath, you may want to have your vet examine him/her for problems with the mouth or teeth.
The Famotidine dose depends on weight of the dog. 10-20 lbs give 10 mg. 20-30 lbs give 15 mg. Over 30 lbs give 20 mg.
Best wishes. I hope this was helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When pet owners take their dogs to the Vet for whatever reason, does the vet not usually take a quick look at the mouth and make a note to that effect. My insurance policy states that the dog should have an annual teeth inspection! I have often noticed the vet just pulling back the gums a bit and having a quick look.

Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
How your vet handles looking at the teeth depends on their typical way of practicing. Yes...it is common to flap up the gums to look at the molars and then spread the lips in the front to look at the incisors. Some vets will actually have the dog open their mouth. You can ask your vet/ or express concern about the dog's mouth if you want them to take a deeper look.