Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

Our fish has developed white spots followed by what looks to

Our fish has developed white spots followed by what looks to be blood on its fins, tail and poop hole area. Any ideas? I can send a picture if needed.
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here.
Vet : It sounds like you have two problems here: Ich (a parasite) and poor water quality. What is your usual tank cleaning regime?
Customer: We change the water filters once a week. We just bought a new tank since the 2 fish have gotten so large. It is a 29 gallon tank with 2 filters.
Vet : How often do you change the water?
Customer: We just started using the tank 2 weeks ago so we haven't changed the water yet. It is still very clear.
Vet : OK. Blood streaks in fins as you describe are usually a sign of water problems, usually ammonia or nitrite. As a rule, you should remove 50% of the water weekly and replace with treated water. I recommend you get a simple water test kit to confirm this.
Vet : Another possibility is new tank syndrome, where the bacteria have not been able to build up and ammonia levels rise quickly.
Vet : It is good practice to decorate the new tank with some old used gravel and ornaments and leave for 4-6 weeks to settle.
Customer: Ok I was guessing the two things you suggested the ich and checking the ammonia and nitrite levels. So far it has just effected one of the two fish, but I will go by a test kit tomorrow. Do you recommend the adding of salt that many of the articles speak of to help with the ich?
Vet : It takes 7-10 days of salted, warmed water to kill the Ich and break the life cycle.
Customer: Thank you for your advise.
Vet : No problem. Do you have any further questions.
Vet : ?
Customer: I think that is it for now, but I gather this is a very treatable issue?
Vet : Yes, very common and very treatable. As for the bloody fins, this is also common but you should have no problem as long as you change the water as I suggest, and use a good water treatment agent.
Customer: Thank you for all your help, have a great evening or day depending on where you are located.
Vet : Same to you! All the best, ***** *****
Vet : I should mention that the salt you add should be proper, non-iodised aquarium salt.
Customer: Thanks