Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

After walking,when my dog rests and tries to get up, his back

After walking,when my dog rests and tries to get up, his back legs seize up.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Riley had these signs?

Does he tend to warm with exercise?

Any history or trauma or a fall?

Does he ever drag the legs or try to walk on the top part of his paw?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seemed to start suddenly about 2 months ago, I am not aware of any fall or injury, when he goes walking he is perfect, he would walk for more than an hour without any problem.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Marian.

Based on his age, his signs, and his lack of persistant lameness when on long distance walks; we would actually be most suspicious of possible onset of mild arthritic changes for Riley. Focal nerve issues, bone based diease, and tendon damage would all be less likely. Though, we do have to appreciate that often arthritis will be without symptoms (save for issues when starting from rest) but can lead to increased instances of muscle strains and sprains.

Now had his signs been severe or had you seen a hint of specifc limb favoring, then we may have needed to consider a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox. That said, with there only be a stiffness or seizing up after resting post-exercise, we usually can manage these situations with milder OTC supportive care measures.

Specifically, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad.

Finally, since this type of stiffness does tend to worsen during chilly seasons (for people and dogs both; and could be why we are seeing this now), do make sure that he has access to somewhere warm or a heating pad. This way he can soothe those joints and relax his muscles with warmth over the chilly winter. And if any limb appears to bother him more at any time, you can consider warm compressing the region. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Overall, stiffness after a rest post-exercise is a common sign associated with underlying arthritic changes in the joints. Often these dogs are otherwise well and move find once the joints warm up. Therefore, since his signs are mild at this stage, it'd be worth starting the above for him to keep those joints as comfortable and mobile as possible. That way we can reduce these episodes and avoid his joints giving him grief after long walks.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so that I am credited with assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.