Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My westy dog is now 17 years old and has started to have stomach

My westy dog is now 17 years old and has started to have stomach problems. He gets stressed after eating and has a very windy stomach. I feed him twice a day and only give him pedigree chum in small amounts, plus dog biscuits. He also drinks lots of water and his stools are firm, not runny. I do take him to my vets regular, but he now gets very stressed on the way there and at the sugary. We had two westy and lots one 3 years ago. He missed her and was very upset for a long time. I am now his ears and eyes he rely on me all the time. I know he's old but i love him so much and want him time to be as comfortable as possible. Please can you help. Kind regards ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Jean. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe the symptoms that he is showing?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, his symptoms are heavy panting, he also drinks lots of water, he can not settle. He sometimes cries. His weight is about 9 kilos. He is not on any medication at the moment. he has had steroids in the past for skin problems. About 3 months ago. He has just had another episode of crying and being restless, after I fed him. This problem only started after our other westy died. We do not understand why! I do not work and we very rarely leave him on his own. He is now laying on my lap and is starting to settle down. I hope that is enough information. Kind regards

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?
2- Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes he is drinking more. He did used to vomit food. He was OK after that. Then his vomit was only bile. But now he doesn't vomit at all.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Jean, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. Any of the above diseases can cause the symptoms that you are describing in Bertie.
I really do understand that he gets stress going to see the family vet. But, to determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Change his diet to a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken. Continue feeding him small amounts 4-6 times a day.
2- Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). This will help settle his stomach.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.