Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

my hungarian vizsla is 10 years old and has today urinated

my hungarian vizsla is 10 years old and has today urinated twice on her bed in two hours....never don that before... What should i do?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your girl having urinary accidents on her bed twice in 2 hours.
It is possible that she has a urinary tract infection and the inflammation is causing her to dribble urine when she is relaxed and laying down or sleeping. However I would expect her to have some symptoms when she is awake as well, such as frequent urinations, straining to urinate or licking at her vulva.
Another possibility is that she has some sort of internal organ disease (diabetes or kidney disease) that is causing her to drink more water such that she simply can't hold it for long.
Other possibilities are some spinal arthritis that is affecting the nerves that control continence and causing her to dribble when she is relaxed or sleeping, or if she is spayed then she may have hormone related incontinence. The lack of estrogen can weaken the urethral muscles causing urine to leak when they are very relaxed or sleeping.
She needs to see her veterinarian for an examination, urinalysis with culture to look for infection and possibly some blood tests to look for abnormal organ function if her urine looks abnormal (very dilute or has protein or glucose in it).
If this is related to weak urethral muscle function due to lack of estrogen medication such as phenylpropanolamine (PPA) can help that, and if it is related to spinal arthritis then treating that with anti-inflammatories as well could help.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.