Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I wormed my 8 month old Gsd pup on Wednesday. I gave him

Customer Question

I wormed my 8 month old Gsd pup on Wednesday.
I gave him 4 x Johnstones all round wormer tablets.
He had diarrhoea on Wednesday afternoon and didn't eat his tea.
I managed to get him to eat his breakfast on Thursday but since then he hasn't eaten and
today he is very lethargic.
Any suggestions as to what might be the matter?
Nickie
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you confirm what the active ingredient (ie Nitroscante) was?
How many milligrams were in each tablet?

How much does Diesel weigh?

Has he had any vomiting?
Is she drinking?

Are his gums nice and pink (not pale/white)? Are they moist or sticky?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Each tablet contained Nitroscanate (500mg) and he had 4. He weighs approx 53kgs.
He hasn't been sick and his stools are ok today and I just managed to
get him to have a drink of water.
I've checked his gums and they are quite pale and sticky.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Nickie,

Since you noted he has pale gums (which we'd not expect with the wormer), can you tell me if there is any chance he could have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've pressed all over his tummy and he doesn't flinch. I feed him on a raw diet and as a treat yesterday he had pig ribs but I supervised him while he chewed them. He only chewed them for a short time and then I threw the rest away.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

First, I am very glad that we don't have any belly pain and that you are sure he didn't eat any of those bones since that would give us other worries for him.

Now I do want to note that this is a wormer that is usually well tolerated and the dose is within the safe dosing range for his size. That said, when we do have dogs that are sensitive to this active ingredient, we can see GI upset (appetite loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea). So, it is possible for this to be a sensitivity to this medication itself. That said, with the pale gums and puppies being prone to getting up to mischief, I do want to note we would also have to be thinking about other issues (ie bacterial or viral GI bugs, pancreatitis, foreign bodies and toxin exposure). Hopefully, this is not the case, but I would note that if we don’t see him settling with the supportive care I outline or those gums get any more pale; then we’d want him to be checked by his vet to make sure the wormer isn’t a red herring and another problem is afoot.

Now in regards ***** ***** based supportive care, our first point of call is the suspect nausea that is likely putting him off his food. Dogs won’t always just vomit but also can refuse to eat when nauseous. Therefore, as long as he can keep water down (as not being able to do that often means they need injectable anti-vomiting treatment), we can try treating him with an antacid to settle his stomach. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once that is on board, we’d then want to consider putting Diesel on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken with rice, boiled white fish with rice, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese with rice. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in and result in less diarrhea. You can also feed this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled and further decrease the volume of diarrhea he is producing. I usually advise that the diet be continued until his GI signs have settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

Since diarrhea can quickly dehydrate a young dog, so we need to keep an eye on his hydration. Especially because if those gums are very sticky, then dehydration is suspect (which can often make them feel poorly and lethargic) and we’d need to be proactive in correcting this. To check his hydration status to make sure they are not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether the pet has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already and/or the gums are very sticky and dry, since he is so young, then you do want to have her seen by the vet before this becomes an additional issue for him. (since it is often the dehydration that starts to tap their energy level and depresses them)

If you are concerned that he is becoming dehydrated, you can try and encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. If he isn’t amenable to these, you can syringe feed her pedialyte. Pedialyte is nice (though aim for a flavorless one) because it will get some of those lost electrolytes back into her as well. A typical maintenance rate for hydration in an animal is 48mls per kilogram of weight a day. If you do give syringe pedialyte, this should obviously be divided up into multiple offerings through the day rather then all at once. This value will give you the total he needs for the day and is a good starting point to give you an idea of her daily requirement. (we aren’t calculating losses, so you can add an equivalent volume to match how much diarrhea he is producing). If he vomits when you have given pedialyte, then therapy should be discontinued (since we don’t want vomiting because of our intervention).

Overall, the signs you noted are all consistent with sensitivity to the wormer. Still with the pale and sticky gums, we do need to tread with care. Therefore, you can try the above to settle his stomach and diarrhea; but if he isn’t remarkably better in the next 12 hours, then we'd want to consider getting the vet involved (since he is young and won't have the same body resources as an adult). That way you can get him in for your vet’s Saturday morning surgery. If you need to do so, then consider bringing a fecal sample for assessment. The vet will also be able to determine if this is due to the wormer or anything else. Depending on their findings, they can give fluids, +/- antibiotics if necessary and puppy safe anti-diarrhea medication (ie Kaolin, Protexin, etc) to slow the diarrhea, keep him hydrated and clear this for him. So, do try the light diet and keep a close eye on his hydration and gum color. And if we aren't seeing it settle, then we'll likely need some treatment to clear it for Diesel.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you ! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the advice I'll keep a close eye on him. If he won't drink water can I give him some milk as he really likes that. Also he's very wet on his back end after lying down and he's licking his bits a lot and there is a cre***** *****quid dripping out.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,

I would try the antacids first before offering milk. The reason is because milk can actually cause diarrhea in some dogs and this would be counter productive here. So, its best avoided or only used to flavor the water.

Otherwise, if he is damp it does depend with what on how to approach it. The penile discharge isn't a major worry if he is licking, since it is a reaction to irritation. But if he is bothering the penis because he has urinary discomfort and is wet with urine; then we'd be concerned about a possible non-related urinary tract issue and that would need to be checked out by his vet (since common issues like bladder nfections cannot really be treated at home.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry to keep bothering you but after wiping his back end and legs with kitchen roll it does smell like urine. Is there anything I can do tonight to help him before I take him to the vets in the morning?
Nickie
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
No worries Nickie,

If he is leaking urine, then we do have a concern about a bladder infection. The main thing tonight will be to keep him hydrated and as dry as possible. As well, it'd be a good idea to collect a bladder infection. Otherwise, I suspect his immune system is just being a wee bit bombarded and would want your vet to check for a bladder infection tomorrow.

All the best,

Dr. B.