DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My lively 3 year old Working Cocker has started to lick carpets

My lively 3 year old Working Cocker has started to lick carpets and furniture and seems afraid to jump onto furniture. Is there a likely reason for this sudden change in behaviour please?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.

DrMelJ :

Constant or obsessive licking can be a sign of pain or anxiety.

DrMelJ :

Sometimes nausea.

DrMelJ :

Is she eating normally? Is she otherwise acting normal or is she showing any other signs of pain?

DrMelJ :

Pain in the hind quarters (perhaps hips) or back could cause her to not want to jump on things and the licking would be her sign of pain and distress over the pain

DrMelJ :

If she seems to not be as eager of an eater right now....or is intermittently vomiting or having loose stools....then maybe she has a mild pancreatitis and is licking because of the abdominal pain and may not want to jump up because it stretches the abdomen and hurts.

DrMelJ :

These are just some thoughts. A vet exam would likely provide a lot of insight (especially on the pain side of things)

DrMelJ :

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: Thank you for your comprehensive reply. She has whimpered on two occasions when both my wife and I attempted to help her up onto the furniture so it could well be a strain of some sort. Otherwise she appears as active as ever, eating well and stools are fine.
Customer: i'll keep an eye on her.
Customer: thanks again
Customer: Norman