DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

My ***** ***** has very dark coloured nails. It is very difficult

My ***** ***** has very dark coloured nails. It is very difficult to see the wick.
Only once did I ask the vet to check her nails. He agreed they were difficult to trim and actually two of her nails bled when trimmed. Now two of her back paw nails are getting too long. When she is standing still I note two of them are a bit out of line. I give her as much exercise running on gravel, playing on rocks, and of course on soft ground. She does not show any discomfort. We live by the coast in Cornwall.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.

DrMelJ :

If she is not showing discomfort that is good, but you dont want things to get out of hand with the nails

DrMelJ :

Also the longer you let them grow, the longer the quicks get and the harder it gets overall to trim them.

DrMelJ :

You may want to look into the nail grinding systems

DrMelJ :

Here is just one example: https://www.petedge.com/zpetedgemain/catalog/productDetail.jsf?wec-appid=PEDM_WEBSHOP_TR&itemKey=005056A633791ED2B58667B3CD1D0FB3&wec-locale=en_US&ceidt=PPCPLA9&WT.mc_id=BingNonBranded_Pet%20Supplies%20PLA-NS_Pro%20Equipment%20&%20Tools

DrMelJ :

Dogs often will tolerate them better and you can take off small amounts at a time fairly easily.

DrMelJ :

used correctly it tends to lead to less issues with bleeding nails and less resentment from the dog

DrMelJ :

Otherwise....do try to at least take a little off the nails..as continually having the long nails pull the toes out of position can lead to more frequent fractures of the toes or nail injury

DrMelJ :

Best wishes.