Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My ten year old labrador has a (I think) tag? hanging

Customer Question

My ten year old labrador bitch has a (I think) tag? hanging alongside one of her nipples.
What action should I take please
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here. How big is the tag, and is it attached to the nipple?
JACUSTOMER-rrlwrkf2- :

At first I thought her nipple had gone black so it is about the same size as a nipple. It is not attached to the nipple but directly along side

Vet : Is there any redness, swelling or pain around the tag or nipple?
JACUSTOMER-rrlwrkf2- :

none of the above

Vet : OK. You're almost certainly right that it is a skin tag, or papilloma. The most common option taken with these is to wait and see, as most of these benign tumours do nothing. However, I would advise you keep an eye on it, and inspect it weekly for any signs of change such as those above. If it starts to change, then it is a simple procedure to have it removed - I have done many of these in the consulting room under local with a compliant dog. The skin can then be stapled, and the lump sent away for analysis if required.
Vet : If Tia is insured then the safest way to proceed, assuming the operation is covered, is to have the lump removed under general anaesthetic and sent away for analysis. Many insurers find this preventive surgery preferable to waiting and seeing.
Vet : That said, if she is not insured then don't worry - I have had plenty of clients watching this type of growth for years without any problems.
JACUSTOMER-rrlwrkf2- :

Thanks, ***** ***** heed your advice

Vet : Is there anything else I can help you with?