Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Female Collie, 3 years old.......started vomiting through the

Customer Question

Female Collie, 3 years old.......started vomiting through the night...twice....and has vomited about every 4 hours, today......pure bile.
We planted tulip bulbs yesterday and we are now worried she may have eaten one....but only one.......it will now be at least 20 hours
She is not interested in eating or drinking....is there anything we should try to give her as an antidote or do we just wait and keep our fingers crossed?
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I'm so sorry to hear that Patches is vomiting and not feeling well!

Dr. Barbara :

Tulip bulbs themselves shouldn't be a problem unless it gets stuck in her stomach or intestine. However, fertilizer could be toxic, depending upon what it is. Did you use any fertilizer?

Dr. Barbara :

Initial treatment for vomiting is to withhold food and water until there has been no vomiting for 4 or more hours. Has Patches still been drinking water?

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

Dear Dr. Barbara,

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

Thank you for your response....Patches has shown no inclination to eat, or drink, since last night....which is very unusual!

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

There has been no contact with fertilizer.

Dr. Barbara :

Thank you for your response. Very good to hear that she has no exposure to any fertilizer, so we don't have to worry about that.

Dr. Barbara :

As I said, a tulip bulb could be stuck, but usually if something is stuck it initially doesn't cause a dog to feel sick. . .vomiting yes, but their demeanor is normal.

Dr. Barbara :

Let me determine please if Patches is is an emergency situation. What is the color of her gums, and when you push on them the color should return in 3 seconds or less. Also, is Patches breathing normally?

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

I suppose, as you suggest, we just have to wait and hope that she slowly recovers....it's disconcerting when you read that tulip bulbs can result in death....especially when we don't know if we can take any action, or not

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

Sorry, I responded too quickly.....gums are pink and colour returns.....breathing appears to be normal.

Dr. Barbara :

Some types of tulip bulbs can be toxic, of course, but not all. Do you know the type of bulb she possibly ingested?

Dr. Barbara :

The treatment would be to cause vomiting (which Patches is already doing) and to give activated charcoal and supportive care to counteract a decreased blood pressure. The fact that her gums are pink and the color returns indicates that her blood pressure is fine. . .along with normal breathing. These are both signs of stability.

Dr. Barbara :

If you were to seek veterinary care there tonight, they would suppress any further vomiting, get an x ray or ultrasound of her abdomen to determine if there is a bulb in there, and then give her activated charcoal.

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

OK, thanks for your help....bulbs were Darwin Hybrid Tulips bought in Amsterdam last Thursday.....

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

We feel a lot more comfortable having been in touch with you and I think we will monitor Patches throughout the night and hope there is an improvement......ifr not, it's our vet tomorrow morning.

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

Iain and Nora Kennedy

Dr. Barbara :

Hi Lain and Nora,

Dr. Barbara :

I was off researching about tulips, daffodils jonquils and narcissus bulbs.

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

Are you comfortable with us giving Patches the night to recover?

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

Are you still there?....I've been trying to select "Excellent Service" but it states that the Expert has not finished answering

JACUSTOMER-lpud0qfw- :

Still not sure if this is live or not, so signing out and can be contacted by e-mail

Dr. Barbara :

Hello. . .sorry for the delay. Can't find anything specific about Darwinian Hybrid Tulips, but the toxicology folder on our veterinary web site addresses tulips in general. Tulip bulbs contain tuliposide A which is a stomach and intestine irritant and can also cause dermatitis (you'd notice scratching).

Dr. Barbara :

So, Patches is demonstrating GI upset, but is not shocky at all (gum color is good and she's breathing well). Overnight, I'd withhold food and water and if she has not vomited at all, then you can give her about 60 of water and wait about 1 hour. If she does then keep that down, give her the same and offer her a little bland food diet. . .you can make this boiled white rice and cooked skinless chicken. Try about 60ml of this. If all then goes well expand the amount of food and water gradually. On Wednesday, you could then start reintroducing her regular diet.

Dr. Barbara :

Hope this is helpful, and again, very sorry for the delay as I was researching.

Hi John,
Thank you so much for the very kind rating and the bonus. . .greatly appreciated!
How is Patches doing today? I'd love to hear, and there is no more charge for you even after a rating.
Will look forward to hearing from you, and I hope Patches is on the mend.
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr. Barbara,

We took your advice and went to our Vet this morning because Patches was still very subdued.

assumption is food poisoning and she's been given anti-vomiting and antibiotic........definitely beginning to show improvement and 0n the road to recovery so great relief all round.

Thank you, ***** ***** your advice and also your concern.

Thanks and regards

Iain and Nora Kennedy

Thank you so much for letting me know! I'm so glad to hear that she is doing better!
I'll be checking in with you in a few days to hear how Patches is doing. Hope she continues to improve. . .sounds like she will.
Dr. Barbara
Hi John,
Just checking in on Patches. . .all going well???
Dr. Barbara