Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My dogs ears are constantly smelly ..I bathed my dog last night

My dogs ears are constantly smelly ..I bathed my dog last night and gave her ears a really good clean ..today they are starting to smell again already ..very sour smell as well ..advice please .Smiley is 3 nearly 4 year old Lasoapao
Nichole Robin
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today,.

Dr. Susan :

It sounds like Miley has otitis externa, which is an external ear infection.

Dr. Susan :

Ear cleaning is a good start to remove discharge, but with an active infection she will continue to produce more discharge rapidly.

Dr. Susan :

The most important part of her treatment will be a topical antimicrobial.

Dr. Susan :

Ear infections in dogs can be due to yeast, bacteria, or both,

Dr. Susan :

The only way to determine this is with an ear cytology.

Dr. Susan :

That means she would need to be evaluated at your local vet. We then take a swab from her ears and look at the discharge under the microscope.

Dr. Susan :

Once we know what is causing the infection, we can choose a proper medication to treat the infection.

Dr. Susan :

Has she ever had an ear infection before?

Customer:

She seems to be very itchy in the right ear mostly ..I feel that's the stronger smelly ear

Customer:

This has been going on for a while now

Dr. Susan :

Does it smell yeasty?

Customer:

Not sure to me like sour milk

Customer:

Sorry don't know yeasts

Dr. Susan :

OK, it's not terribly accurate to diagnose infection based on smell, but I am concerned that she has a bacterial component.

Dr. Susan :

(Yeast is similar to bread dough)

Dr. Susan :

If it were a yeasty smell, there are some over the counter products we could try.

Dr. Susan :

Unfortunately, for a bacterial infection, it would be best to get a prescription medication from your vet instead.

Customer:

Ok would like to try anything please ..so isn't eating that great

Dr. Susan :

You can use a 50:50 mixture of vinegar and water to clean. This acidifies and makes the ear less hospitable to bacterial growth.

Customer:

Are her ears meant to feel hot ..or warm to touch ?

Dr. Susan :

Aside from that, I still think you will need to make an appointment for her with her regular vet.

Dr. Susan :

Well they should be warm, but not hot.

Dr. Susan :

If they are hot, it may be due to inflammation from the infection.

Customer:

Yes will do that as soon as

Customer:

Ok ..thank you so much will get our we soul looked at :))

Dr. Susan :

You're welcome! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer:

That's fab going to give her a wee clean the now

Dr. Susan :

Sounds good. I'll try to check in with you in a few days and see how she is feeling.