DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine- class of 2007.
24095035

Generally healthy working lab , nearly 5 years old - very

Customer Question

Generally healthy working lab bitch, nearly 5 years old - very happy and boisterous normally but today she woke up struggling with her front and back legs - jumped over the wall for a walk but didn't want to jump back over it on return. She's not complaining at all, sleeping very peacefully at the moment, but had loose stools this morning. She also had general anaesthetic last week for hip and elbow examination before breeding, and a small hot spot was found near her ear which was cleaned up and doesn't seem to be bothering her.
Any ideas? I was planning to keep an eye on her today and take her to to the vet tomorrow if no better.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
DrMelJ :

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if i can help.

DrMelJ :

With the history you are giving...perhaps she is actually dealing with some GI pain or abdominal pain related to the anesthesia. This would make her reluctant to jump or do activities that stretch her abdomen. If she is eating well, then i'd just recommend keeping an eye on he for 24 hours.

DrMelJ :

If she is unable to walk normally or control her limbs....like she is drunk or wobbly, then get her to a vet right away. She may have injured her back and be having some neurological issues.

DrMelJ :

Let me know if you have any other questions. Best wishes.