Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

My cat is sneezing and bringing up a white foam with a very

My cat is sneezing and bringing up a white foam with a very slight trace of blood some times,she is 13 years old and was in very good health up to now she is also sounding very nasal.
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 2 years ago.
Dr Aaron :

Hello this is Dr. Aaron.

Dr Aaron :

There is a large number of things that can cause sneezing with cats.

Dr Aaron :

It can be a bacterial/viral infections (much like a cold), allergies, nasal polyp, etc.

Dr Aaron :

I strongly recommend that you take your cat to your local vet if the sneezing persists.

Dr Aaron :

If the foam is being brought up following sneezing it could be all secondary to an upper respiratory infection.

Dr Aaron :

It is possible that your local vet will recommend a short course of oral antibiotics.

Dr Aaron :

If there is a viral infection then usually it will improve on its own, but often times an antibiotic is prescribed to help with any possible bacterial component.

Dr Aaron :

If your cat is sneezing secondary to allergies then an antihistamine may be beneficial.

Dr Aaron :

You can give diphenhydramine (2 mg / kg) every 8-12 hours to help decrease the frequency of sneezing.

Customer:

Is there a over the counter medicine as I am of very limited funds

Dr Aaron :

there are no over-the-counter antibiotics.

Dr Aaron :

You can try benadryl (diphenhydramine)

Dr Aaron :

that is an over-the-counter med

Dr Aaron :

Do you guys have that in the UK?

Customer:

How long could this go on for without meds

Dr Aaron :

It all depends on the underlying cause. It is allergies then it should resolve quickly. If it is a viral/bacterial infection it may take days/weeks. If there is a more serious issue then it may require medical intervention for improvement.

Customer:

ok thank you for your time I will keep a close eye on her and would it be advisable to keep her indoors

Dr Aaron :

I would definitely keep her inside. If she worsens she may try to hide somewhere outdoors.

Customer:

Thank you good night

Dr Aaron :

Sometimes cats that are sneezing/having nasal issues will not be able to smell their food. If they can't smell their food often times their appetite will decrease. Make sure she is eating. You may need to offer smelly foods such as canned tanned to perk her appetite (if necessary)

Dr Aaron :

You're very welcome. I would greatly appreciate a positive rating/review so that I may be compensated for my time.

Dr Aaron :

Take care.

Customer:

ok