Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I am looking after a 5 month old labrador puppy and he has

Customer Question

I am looking after a 5 month old labrador puppy and he has eaten a pill that was dropped on the floor. It was Desunin which is Vitamin D 800 IU. Is this harmful? It was a few hours ago so too late to make him vomit.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now while we don't want this pup to make pinching pills a trend, one Vitamin D (800IU) capsule is not going to cause any harm. In fact, a pup's daily Vitamin D allowance is 500 IU per kilogram of body weight. Therefore, this would be within normal daily requirements for any pup over 1.5kg. So, at 5 months and as a one-off dose, there is no worry here for this wee one. Therefore, we'd just want to monitor here and potentially offer a light diet (ie cooked white rice with boiled chicken, scrambled egg or white fish) if you were to see any signs of GI upset.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )