Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a french bulldog puppy 16 weeks . his eating vet

Customer Question

Hello I have a french bulldog puppy 16 weeks . his eating vet essentials chicken biscuits 3 50ml servings per day. He drinks lots of water and poo's 5-8 times a day. He eats his own poo if left to, But our main worry is his poo has gooy blood in it . What does this mean and what do you advise I do . Kind regards ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Steven, at 16 weeks of age gastrointestinal parasitism is the most common cause of hematochezia - blood in the poo. The nematodes roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms, the sporozoan coccidia, and protozoan Giardia are our primary concerns. You can purchase an over the counter wormer containing fenbendazole (Panacur, generics) which will address the nematodes and the protozoan Giardia. I recommend worming daily for 5 consecutive days. You'll need Ralph's vet to prescribe ponazuril to best address coccidia.

It's a good idea to have the vet perform a fecal ova and parasite exam on Ralph's poo if fenbendazole isn't helpful. We'd be looking for parasites resistant to fenbendazole or not susceptible to it at all such as coccidia. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Ralph, please?